We're one week into 2018, how is it going so far? Have you started off your year as you had hoped?
Everyone I've spoken with this week has had a similar experience to me in that the year has not started quite as they'd planned. I can relate to this, but what I've concluded is that what we do now is what matters.
I had such grand plans for 2018; so many resolutions and so many expectations and ideas about what I should be doing and how I should be living my life. So, on the morning of the 1st of January when I found myself bagel in hand, watching hours and hours of desperate housewives, I felt so many negative emotions surfacing around how I was falling short of expectations. I was failing already.. again.
Firstly, it's very easy to let this fit into the story you tell yourself about the type of person you are. We all have these stories, what is yours?
Mine is that I can't control myself with food. It would be very easy for me to file the first 2 days of January as another chapter in this story but where does this get me?
If anyone is having a similar experience to me, try this:
1. Drop your expectations. Drop your comparisons. Drop your judgements of yourself. When you come from a place of disappointment and judgement, it's very hard to move forward. This place is lethargic and lonely.
2. Replace your expectations with gratitude and appreciation. Find things you're grateful for about this year, this week, this day, and yourself. List 5.
3. Write down (or re read if you've already written down) what you'd planned for this year. I really encourage you to write down in the future. As if you're there experiencing the year you want, and use positive, uplifting language. "I am working with clients who excite and inspire me"
4. Read over this and allow it to sink in and excite you. This is the only place it's possible to move forward from. The place of excitement for the future and of your own potential.
5. Forgive yourself for judging yourself as wrong for not doing things exactly as you'd planned
6. Trust the process, trust the journey and trust the universe. You are exactly where you're supposed to be, doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing even if it doesn't feel that way in this moment.
Thank you all for your wonderful support in 2017. I'm so excited for this year and all it has in store.
I'm going to make my emails a weekly occurrence and if you do have any requests for anything you'd like me to cover, please let me know.
Sending you all love and light,